Thursday, August 22, 2013

Entry 5 - Backwoods Bistro Recap from 8/17/13

Hello fans!  It was great seeing a lot of you at the Backwoods Bistro for their 1 year anniversary celebration!  After doing a few shows with you all, I think there are a couple of things we can count on:
One, no matter what time or place we have a gig, our folks represent big time!  We've played at all sorts of venues at all sorts of times and every time we've had a great crowd.
Two, if they aren't prepared at the bar, it's going to be a long night for the bartenders!  Our venues seem to underestimated our fan's, shall we say, thirst? haha! We should start seeing more supply of both bottled beer and bartenders going forward! A big shout out to all of you guys and gals!  We really appreciate your support!
The forecast for the event was RAIN and then some!  So instead of playing outside as was originally planned, the event was moved inside of the Bistro. That turned out to be a great call because at one point it was raining people outside! ha!  We kicked off the celebration at 3pm, which was a change from our original 4pm start time.  We decided to move to the first slot in order to help the other bands that were scheduled to play since most of them were playing the same drum set and I of course play a Roland drum kit.  This worked out nicely because it made the transitions a lot easier for everyone else.  We debated starting with "Back of the Bus" on the spot, but decided to keep our original set list in place since we were on a severe time crunch compared to most all of our shows so far (We had about an hour or so compared to the three plus hour marathons we're used to playing). We started with "Nervous" and I never heard one drum hit or beat the whole song!  Craig had moved my monitor prior to the show to prop up his bass guitar and turned off the power.  When he moved it back, he forgot the power button!  Oh NO!!! Fortunately, I just relied on what I imagined it sounded like and finished the song with no issues.  Craig and I had a funny moment during the song when he started wondering where the sound back to me was.  Once he realized what had happened we gave each other the "Oh Well" nod and kept rolling.  Hopefully, my band mates appreciate my ability to adapt to these scenarios as I seem to always have some sound issue (or lack thereof) but so far I've been able to get through each problem with no issues.  Speaking of which, my band mates once again were spot on and sounded great! I was extremely pleased with their performance as they both came to rock!  Our sound was about the best I think it has been and we attribute that to Rick Ott and Co. dialing in our true sound. (Rick and all the musicians on the ticket are all great people and sounded great as well!)  At one point Bryan skipped a verse on "Hands to the Fire" and instead broke into this long killer lead.  It was a nice surprise that worked with our tight time crunch.  We ended up playing 16 songs, 2 of those for the sound check. We had another 2 we had to cut out because of our time, "Firing Man" and "County Line".
Our streak of playing a brand new song at every show came to an end, but I can assure you all it wasn't because we didn't have any new songs!  B and I did a rough count last night and I would be willing to bet we have another 20-30 songs that we haven't developed yet.  In the last 2 practices alone we have created 4-5 solid sounding songs that have a lot of potential. As we get closer to our "vacation" of a couple months, I would expect a bunch of new songs when we get back out there.  I'm personally really excited about them.

As for what's next on the horizon, I'd say we are focused on practicing and maybe trying to fit in more recording as we can find time and you never know, we may sneak a surprise show in somewhere.  It will be tricky over the next couple of months, but I expect we'll find time here and there to keep on rockin' baby!

- DMaster Miagi - Drums, Percussion, Vocals



No comments:

Post a Comment